228 Memorial Peace Park
The 228 Memorial Peace Park was called Taipei Park at first and then changed to New Park in the past. The park was established in the Ching Dynasty and is the oldest park in Taipei. After World War II, the KMT government took over Taiwan. However, economic monopoly and corruption of the government led to civil resistance. On February 27, 1947, people gathered in front of the police department but were shot by the soldiers. The next day, people gathered in the Taipei Park and broadcast the movement at the radio station. The KMT government used military force to restrain the protesters and arrested alleged participants afterward. In order to relieve this historic pain, the park was renamed to 228 Memorial Peace Park in 1996.
Copyright © 2005-2020 Taiwaning. all rights reserved.